Wheat bran is the outer layer of wheat kernels and is extracted during the milling process. It tastes nutty and sweet. Bran has different uses due to its high nutritional values, as it is a rich source of dietary fiber, manganese and vitamins. Additionally, there are various benefits of wheat bran that you may not have known about before. Wheat bran is an essential ingredient used in many bowls of cereal, oats, muffins, etc. Nonetheless, wheat bran is renowned for being a healthy ingredient due to its countless benefits, nutritional values, and multiple uses. So, let’s take a look at them to find out better.
Benefits of wheat bran
Rely on the health benefits of wheat bran that you may not have known about until now and only use it indiscriminately. In addition, wheat bran has been used for many years. But our grandparents must have used it for different purposes and for various reasons, and now we could use it in other ways and for other reasons.
Also read: Benefits of Sesame Oil
1. Promotes healthy digestion
Wheat bran is a condensed source of insoluble fiber, which helps clear fatty stools in the colon. It prevents constipation and keeps the stomach cleansed and detoxified. It even reduces digestive issues like bloating and discomfort. Its good prebiotic content also acts as a food source for the good gut bacteria.
2. Good for heart health
As we know, foods high in fiber help reduce risk and heart disease. And some of the studies have concluded that consuming wheat bran has shown symptoms of reduced bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels associated with increased heart risks.
Read also: Bad and good cholesterol
3. Lowers blood pressure
Wheat bran is rich in healthy nutrients like fiber, potassium, magnesium, folate, iron, and selenium. And so, these heart-healthy nutrients can work together to help lower your high blood pressure.
4. Weight management
Eating foods high in fiber makes you feel full and full, so you don’t have to snack all day and eat unnecessary carbohydrates or fats. It indirectly saves you unwanted pounds in your belly.
Also read: Benefits of olive oil
5. Treats irritable bowel syndrome
This is indeed one of the best benefits of wheat bran that you can add to your diet. The nutrients in wheat bran, such as fiber and manganese, are beneficial in maintaining the harmony of the digestive and intestinal system. It also keeps our metabolism at a good rate.
Nutritional values of wheat bran
Here we have provided you nutritional value of wheat bran per 100g–
- Wheat Bran Calories – 216 KJ
- Carbohydrates – 65 grams
- Protein – 29 grams
- Dietary fiber – 43 grams
- Magnesium – 611 mg
- Vitamin B6- 1.3 mg
- Iron – 10.6 mg
- Potassium – 1,182 mg
- Calcium – 73.0 mg
- Selenium – 77.6 mcg
- Omega-3 – 2039 mg
Uses of wheat bran
Wheat bran can be added to many food products and recipes. It includes baked goods, hot and cold cereals, smoothies, salads, pancakes, etc. You will find that it adds a sweet nutty flavor to the receipts.
Also read: Benefits of Khajoor
Here are some ways to include this fibrous food in your diet:
- You can make healthy homemade breads, muffins, rolls, pancakes using wheat bran. All you need to do is replace all-purpose flour (maida) with wheat / bran flour in recipes.
- If you are stuck on consuming wheat bran, adding it to your cereal bowls like oatmeal, cornflake bowl etc. is a perfect solution. It makes your breakfast meals healthier and more satisfying for the whole day.
- It’s a perfect ingredient for making a healthy breakfast or evening pancakes for your kids. You can even make chappati with wheat bran to keep your family healthy and fit.
- Granola is another of the best uses for wheat bran, which many people do for a nutritious and healthy breakfast.
- It is also a good ingredient like nuts or berries to garnish or make toppings on your yogurt bowl or your pudding or smoothie recipes to make them more appetizing and good to eat.